Yesterday, I loaded up on staples at Costco. Since I now have an abundance of coconut oil, cocoa and nuts on hand; I decided to make some chocolate treats. These are sometimes called fat-bombs, but don’t be scared. Fat is a friend around here, especially when it comes in the form of coconut oil.
I was inspired to make a chai spiced chocolate cup after tasting a cardamom truffle my boyfriend’s dad made…that’s right, my boyfriend’s dad makes chocolate. I know you are jealous. Anyway, these little cups of mine pale in comparison to a handcrafted cardamom truffle; but they are damn good for a healthy treat.
One thing to know about coconut oil treats is that you need to keep them cold. I store them in the freezer and defrost them before I eat them. They don’t travel well, unless you live in the arctic. Even then, your body temperature will make them melt. So, expect a little chocolate on your fingers!
I make them in these little silicon cups from IKEA. They are easy to remove and re-useable.
Did I mention that these bad boys are vegan? They are, so if you can’t eat dairy you are in luck! One more thing, in the name of full disclosure. When I first took these out of the freezer, they had sunken centres. Since I’m a spazz, I took a little kitchen torch to them to melt the tops and stuck the nuts on top. They are much prettier now.
Chai Spice Chocolate Cups
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 12
- 1 cup extra virgin coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup Swerve erythritol
- 10 drops liquid Stevia
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- Nuts or dried fruit are optional for topping.
- Put all of the ingredients in your blender and mix until well incorporated. Give it a taste and adjust for sweetness if needed. Pour in to 12 muffin liners, filling them about half way. Top with your choice of nuts or dried fruit. Put them in the freezer. They should harden up in approximately 10 minutes. Store them in the freezer. Take them out to soften for a few minutes before eating.
*The spices are optional in this recipe. You can make them plain if you prefer.
*If you decide to use a different sweetener, start with the equivalent of 1/4 cup of sugar. Taste the mixture and then add more if you need it.
- Serving Size: 1
LOVE VEGAN DESSERTS?
I am whipping up a vegan dessert cookbook. Join my newsletter for release details!
You have Successfully Subscribed!