I’m not really a salty snacker. I am the person who can eat just one chip and let it go. If you combine the saltiness with sweetness, all bets are off.
I’ve made popcorn with coconut sugar before, but it was dissapointing. The sugar didn’t coat the popcorn enough so the sweetness was not evenly distrubuted.
I solved that little problem by running the coconut sugar through a coffee grinder to make a powdered coconut sugar. If you don’t have a coffee grinder, you can put a larger quantity in your vitamix or blendtec and whirl it until it becomes a fine powder. The resulting Cinnamon Toast Popcorn is evenly coated with salty sweet goodness!
I make my popcorn on the stovetop. It’s super easy once you get the hang of it. If you are a fancy person with a popcorn maker (or microwave) go ahead and make popcorn with your fancy appliances. Just be sure to add some melted coconut oil before you put the cinnamon sugar on top!
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅓ cups coconut oil
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels
- Process the coconut sugar in a coffee grinder until it is a fine powder.
- Mix the powdered coconut sugar with cinnamon and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Put the coconut oil and popcorn kernels in a pot with a lid.
- Turn the heat to medium/high and put the lid on.
- Listen for the popping to start (don't leave the room!)
- Once the popping starts, shake the pot every 20 seconds or so to make sure the kernals don't burn.
- Listen until the popping slows down around the 2 minute mark.
- Remove from heat and let it sit a minute before opening the lid.
- Sprinkle the coconut sugar mixture over your popped pocorn and stir to cover evenly.