Let me tell you a little story. Once upon a time, there was this woman who decided to make granola. She went to Whole Foods and bought nuts and fruit and cacao nibs.
She mixed those lovely ingredients in a big bowl with some melted coconut oil and maple syrup. The mixture was lovely and fragrant and she was happy. Then, at the last minute she decided she would add some flax meal. She opened the fridge, found the bag of meal and opened it. It smelled a bit funky, but she was sure that smell would go away when the granola was cooked. No big deal.
She spread the mixture on a tray and baked it. When she opened the oven she marvelled at the glossy and beautiful granola. It was just as she imagined it!
She let the mixture cool and then she tested a spoonful. To her dismay, it tasted like beautiful granola with a hint of fish oil! The horror!
The moral of this story is…don’t use rancid flax seed when you are making granola. For that reason, I’ve omitted flax seed from this recipe and I recommend you use hemp hearts instead. If you can’t find hemp seeds, use sesame seeds.
Other than that one little mistake, this is some of the best grain-free granola I’ve ever had. It is great in a smoothie bowl, over coconut milk ice cream, or with some almond milk.
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¾ cup pecan pieces
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds or sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup dried cranberries or raisins (optional)
- ¼ cup roasted cacao nibs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut, pecans, pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds.
- Stir until well combined and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, stir the syrup and coconut oil with vanilla.
- Heat the mixture on medium/high heat until it starts to simmer.
- Pour the syrup mixture in to the nut and seed mixture and toss until everything is coated.
- Spread the mixture on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake the mixture for 15 to 20 minutes, checking occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn.
- It should be a toasted brown colour when it is ready.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the dried cranberries and cocoa nibs and let the granola cool further.