Herbalists claim that bitters can aid digestion. That’s cool and everything, but I like them in a Manhattan. If you are the non-drinking type, they add nice flavour to glass of sparkling water.
If you are thinking about making some gifts for the holiday season, consider homemade bitters. The hardest part of the process is tracking down the ingredients and that is not that hard if you are willing to order online. I bought most of the ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs, they are not paying me to say that.
Before I made this batch of Hibiscus Bitters, I experimented with several small batches. This was the winning mix.
To make this an extra-special gift, we designed some label stickers. If you don’t have adobe design skills, a hand written label will work.
This stuff keeps for every, we are still enjoying ours a year later. We’ve had people come back to us asking for more. I might need to make another batch!
- 5 cups high-proof vodka or grain alcohol
- 4 oz dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 oz of juniper berries
- 1 oz cloves
- 1 oz rainbow peppercorns
- 1 oz almond extract
- 1 oz vanilla extract
- 0.5 oz burdock root
- 12 dehydrated apple slices
- Put all the ingredients in a large glass jar with a lid.
- Stir or shake the jar every other day for 4 weeks.
- After 4 weeks, strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer or coffee filter.
- Portion into clean dropper bottles using a funnel.