[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]I originally posted this raw vegan carrot cake recipe in January of 2015. Since then, it’s become one of my most popular recipes. I hated the original photos, so I made the cake again and took new photos. You can view the original photos at the end of the post. This post includes some affiliate links.
I love carrot cake but I would be mad at you if you served it to me on my birthday. It’s perfectly fine for an afternoon tea, but on my birthday I want chocolate. Don’t even get me started on ice cream cakes. I have opinions.
The first time I made this cake, it looked a bit like a stack of veggie burger patties. It tasted amazing, but I knew I could do better. I decided to up my game a bit by making a larger cake and decorating it with dehydrated pineapple flowers. I made a video on how to make the flowers, if you want to get fancy.
If you want to make a 6 inch cake, exactly like the one in the new photos. You should double the recipe. I took the mixture and pressed it into a 6-inch cake ring lined with acetate. That is how I got the sides to be smooth and even.
I recommend making this cake 24 hours before you want to eat it. The taste and texture improve as it sits in the fridge. It really starts to feel like cake!
Important note: To get super smooth frosting, make sure you soak your cashews for a few hours!
- Carrot Cake
- 2.5 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded Coconut
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ tsp allspice (optional)
- 5 tbsp coconut flour
- ½ cup trail mix or mixed nuts that have been soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained
- Maple Cashew Frosting
- 1 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Squeeze as much liquid out of the carrots as you can.
- Combine the carrots, coconuts, dates, spices and coconut flour in a food processor and pulse until they come together. Try pressing some between your fingers to make sure it's sticking.
- Stir in the trail mix.
- Prepare the pan of your choice by lining it with parchment paper.
- Press the mixture into the pan firmly and then place your cake into the freezer while you make the frosting.
- Put all the frosting ingredients into a high-powered blender or food processor. Mix until completely smooth. If it get's warm while you are blending it, let it cool a bit before frosting your cake.
- Using an offset spatula or large spoon, spread the frosting over the top of the cake of cupcakes. If you are making a layer cake, be careful not to overfill or you might get some spillage out the sides.
- Top with coconut or nuts and dried fruit.
- Chill until ready to serve, best eaten 24 hours after making.
The original Raw Vegan Carrot Cake images are below.
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_media_grid initial_loading_animation=”none” grid_id=”vc_gid:1462666467748-f09f084d-cb00-1″ include=”1260,1259,1258″][/vc_column][/vc_row]