I woke up this morning with a hankering (yes, a hankering) for something bright, sweet, tart and refreshing. I started brainstorming fruit combinations and this is where I ended up.
This red fruit smoothie is a combination of blood oranges, pomegranate, red grapes and cranberries. Cranberries, why do we forsake thee for 9 months of the year? I live in cranberry land (British Columbia), approximately 12% of North America’s cranberries are grown here. I really should eat them more often. Cranberry season has passed, but you can still buy them frozen.
My grapes were pretty sweet, so this didn’t need any additional sweetener to take the edge off the tartness. If your fruit isn’t sweet enough, go ahead and add the sweetener of your choice. You could add a banana, but I refused to on principal. If I had a red banana, maybe I would have.
You’ve got to stand for something and today I stand for red fruit!
- 1 cups seedless red grapes
- 2 blood oranges, peeled
- 1 cup frozen or fresh cranberries
- 1 pomegranate (seeds only)
- 1 cup very cold water
- Optional: sweetener of choice
- Put all the ingredients in your blender and mix on high-speed until well combined.
- Taste to see if it is sweet enough for you.
- Add sweetener of choice if needed.