As much as I love smoothies, sometimes you want a breakfast you can chew. That is why I was so happy to discover the versatile dish that is the Smoothie Bowl. I am not sure who is responsible for the Smoothie Bowl trend, but they seem to be popping up all over instagram these days. It’s not surprising they are so popular. They are easy, tasty and adaptable…sounds like a perfect breakfast to me. As with most smoothie concoctions, it’s easy to adjust the ingredients to suit what you have on hand. I happened to have a mango, some frozen berries, tumeric root, hemp seeds and a heap of nuts.
I’ve included a recipe for the bowl in the pictures, but feel free to freestyle with this one!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup unsalted cashews - chopped
- ¼ cup almonds - chopped
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts - chopped
- 1 mango
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt*
- 1 cup coconut milk beverage (I used So Delicious brand)
- 1 tsp fresh tumeric or ginger root
- sweetener to taste (optional)**
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- Blueberries to garnish
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Toss the coconut and all the nuts in the pan and coat in the oil. Stir them continuously. Watch them very closely as they can burn quickly. You want the coconut to brown. Once the nuts are toasted, remove from heat and let them cool.
- Put half of the mango in the blender with the strawberries, yogurt, tumeric and coconut milk. Start the blender on low then ramp it up to max. Blend for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Poor the smoothie in to a bowl. Top with mango slices, blueberries, hemp hearts and toasted nut mixture.
*My mango was very sour, so I used a few drops of stevia to sweeten the smoothie.