The universe has blessed me with my second cold of 2015! I can hardly smell or taste anything, so that sucks the joy out of eating. If I can’t enjoy eating, I certainly won’t enjoy cooking.
As a result, we’ve had a lot of take out this week. For the sake of our bank accounts, we have to reel it in. For the sake of vitamins, I decided to make a big, colourful salad.
I did the cool, trendy thing and made noodles out of my vegetables using a hand held veggie spiral slice. You can use a food processor or julienne peeler if you have one.
I mixed carrots, cucumber, daikon, zucchini, red onion, red pepper and tomatoes. In retrospect, I would have added a bit of cabbage because I love cabbage. The dressing is a variation of my dragon bowl sauce. I used peanut butter, but almond butter would work.
I topped mine with some tofu for extra protein, nuts would be good too!Print
Vegetable Noodle Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 2 large servings
- 1 extra-large carrot
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/4 small daikon radish
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- Handful of cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup firm tofu (optional)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/8 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- Shred the carrot, cucumber, daikon and zucchini using a spiral slicer, julienne peeler or food processor.
- Dice or julienne the red pepper and red onion.
- Layer the shredded and diced vegetables in a large bowl and top with tomatoes and tofu.
- Remove the peel from the garlic and ginger.
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Toss the salad with dressing, using as much as you need to cover the vegetable noodles. The dressing recipe makes more than you need.