Full disclosure, I did not make this carrot soup. Chris (my partner in all things) made it and was so good I had to share!
I’ve said it before, but roasted vegetables make the best soups; so much flavour!
This recipe has cilantro and sambal in the mix, but you can skip them if you hate cilantro or spicy food.
Since I use a Vitamix, I can easily make hot soup without worrying about a kitchen explosion. If you are using an average blender, please be careful. This video from America’s Test Kitchen will give you some tips on avoiding disaster.
Be sure you taste test as you go along because soup stock can vary drastically in saltiness! We didn’t need to add any salt at the table, but you might.
You can also play around with the spices here, a tbsp of thai red curry paste would be good instead of the sambal. It’s really open to interpretation!Print
- 5 medium carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1.5-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 2 cups soup stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 inch peeled ginger root
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (more or less to taste)
- 5 sprigs cilantro (optional)
- Sambal or Siracha to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Peel and chop the carrots into one inch sections
- Cut the onion in half and remove the skin
- Toss the carrots and onion in a large bowl with with the olive oil and salt until coated
- Spread carrots and onions in a single layer on a baking sheet
- Peel two cloves of garlic, coat them in olive oil, wrap them in tinfoil and place them on the baking sheet. The tinfoil will keep the garlic from cooking to quickly.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until tender
- If you have a Vitamix or Blendtec, put the remaining ingredients and the roasted vegetables in the blender jug and mix on medium/high for approximately 5 minutes until steaming hot. Be careful removing the lid!
- If your blender is not as powerful, you will want to mix the ingredients in batches until smooth and then heat on the stove.
- You can also blend the ingredients in a pot using an immersion blender.