I’m not a big soda drinker. I usually like the first two or three sips, after that I’m over it. If I’m going to drink a soda, I gravitate towards ginger ale or ginger beer.
I have one of those home carbonation systems, so I often drink sparkling water with a dash of homemade bitters. It’s great, but it’s not sweet and sometimes you want something sweet. That’s why I made up this little concoction. It’s a 3 ingredient recipe and one of those ingredients is water. Easy!
It makes about 1 cup of concentrate that you can use to flavour your drinks. It would also taste amazing on some vanilla ice cream.
I don’t have any rum in the house, but I’m going to make a bold statement here and say that this will make a great mixer. If you love a good Dark ‘n’ Stormy, you will love it!
Coconut Ginger Soda
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 mins
This recipe makes 1 cup of concentrate that you can add to sparkling water.
- 3 oz ( 85 grams) ginger
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 cup water
- Sparkling water
- Peel the ginger and chop it it into round slices.
- Put the ginger, coconut sugar, and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to low.
- Allow mixture to reduce for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Remove from stove and allow mixture to cool.
- Add mixture to sparkling water to taste, I used 4 tbsp for a cup of sparkling water.
- Store the concentrated mixture in the fridge.
- You can eat the little candied ginger pieces if you like!