When I was a kid, I loved those gigantic double chocolate chip muffins you get at Costco. Happiness is a chocolate muffin the size of a small planet.
These vegan double chocolate muffins are a lot smaller, but they really remind me of those Costco behemoths. They are sweetened with dates and maple syrup, this keeps them from being dry because nobody likes a dry muffin. I used coconut oil for the main fat, but you could use light olive oil or grapeseed oil if you prefer.
This recipe features aquafaba as an egg replacer. Aquafaba is a simple ingredients that you might already have in your pantry. It is the water you drain off a can of chickpeas. I’ve created a tutorial to show you the simple steps for preparing aquafaba, you can check that out right here.
If you don’t have aquafaba available, you can use your favourite egg replacer or if you eat eggs you can replace the 3tbsp aquafaba with one whole egg.
The easiest way to make these muffins is to mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. Then mix all the wet ingredients in a high-powered blender or food processor. Once the wet ingredients are mixed, you can pour them into the bowl with the dry ingredients and give them a good stir before filling your muffin cups.
I used some fancy muffin cups that are really tall. You can get them on amazon here (affiliate link). If you use the regular kind of muffin cups, make sure you spray them with cooking spray or they will stick. I was able to make 8 tall muffins, but you should get 12 small muffins out of one batch.
I stored mine in the fridge, but they are best eaten at room temperature or slightly warm so don’t be afraid to nuke those bad boys for a second if you have the technology.Print
- 20 medium dates
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp Aquafaba*
- 1 3/4 Cups (225 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips + more for topping the muffins
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Prepare 12 paper muffin cups by spraying them with cooking oil.
- Soak the dates for 30 minutes in 1 cup of warm water. Don’t discard the water after soaking.
- In a high-powered blender or food processor mix the dates, soaking water, coconut oil, maple syrup, vinegar, vanilla, and aquafaba until well blended. Set the mixture aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chips to the mixture and stir.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin cups and sprinkle each muffin with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.