Before you make this salad, you should prepare and cool your quinoa and wild rice as per package instructions. The dressing recipe makes more than you need, so be sure to add it gradually to taste.
- 5 large leaves of kale
- 1 tsp grapeseed oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups cooled quinoa, measured after cooking
- 1 cup cooled wild rice, measured after cooking
- 1 large orange, segmented and chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp real maple syrup
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- Remove the stalks from the centre of the kale and chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, coat the kale with 1 tsp of grapeseed oil and sprinkle it with salt.
- Using your hands, massage that kale for about 2 minutes. This will break it down and make it more tender and relaxed…it is a massage after all.
- Mix the red onion, quinoa and wild rice in with the kale.
- Top with vinaigrette to taste (recipe below), orange segments and dried cranberries.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small mason jar and shake vigorously until well combined.