If you’ve given up grains, it can often be hard to find a vehicle to get peanut butter in to your mouth. Sure, a spoon works, but it’s frowned upon in polite company. It’s much better to use something like a cracker. Gluten-free crackers from the store are expensive and full of weird things. These crackers are easy to make from things most grain-free people have kicking around the house.
You can make this recipe savory or sweet depending on your choice of spices. I used eggs and butter in mine, but I suspect a vegan version could be created with some flax-egg or chia-egg. If anyone tries that, let me know how it works out.
I mixed everything in my Vitamix but you could use a food processor, KitchenAid or even do it the old fashioned way in a bowl with a spoon. I’ve included a picture of the dough so you know what texture you are looking for.
I decided to be a fancy lady and use cookie cutters to cut shapes out of my dough. If you are feeling lazy, or just don’t give a flying fig about making pretty crackers; you don’t have to. Some people just use a knife and score the dough in to a criss-cross/checkerboard pattern to make square shaped crackers.
One last note before I share the recipe. You need to make these when you have time to pay attention to the baking. It’s very hard to give an exact cooking time on these. Some crackers will cook faster than others. It will depend on the thickness of each cracker and the various hotspots of your oven. My method is to open the oven and rotate the tray every 4 minutes. When I do that, I look to see if any are getting dark. They are ready when they are browning on the edges and the bottoms are brown. I take the finished ones off the tray and put the tray back in. I repeat this process until they are all done. Don’t get distracted. They can burn easily. I would estimate that it takes about 20-25 minutes at 325F to get them all done.
Nothing bad will happen if you undercook them, but they are better when they brown a bit because they are crunchier when they cool. Mmmm, crunchy peanut butter delivery systems.Print
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts or other seed (sunflower or sesame would work)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Optional Savoury Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1 tsp dried Italian spices
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Optional Sweet Ingredients:
- 1 tsp sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried ginger powder
- Preheat overn to 325F
- Mix all your ingredients together in a blender, mixer, food processor or bowl.
- The dough should come together in a firm ball.
- Roll the dough out on a silpat or piece of parchment.
- Cut the dough out with a cookie cutter or use a knife/pizza cutter to score out the shapes you want.
- Bake the crackers at 325F for approximately 20 minutes, rotating the tray every 4 minutes to make sure they cook evenly.
- When you rotate the tray, check to see if any crackers are done. They will have brown edges when they are cooked.
- Remove the cooked crackers and return the tray to the oven.
- Repeat until all crackers are brown.
The optional ingredients are just suggestions. Feel free to play around with them. I didn’t add salt to either batch. I wanted them to be unsalted so that I could use salty toppings. If you prefer a salty snack, you could sprinkle salt on top or add salt to the mixture.
- Serving Size: 10 crackers