This raw vegan carrot cake is surprisingly filling. The recipe below will feed 8 people with cupcake size portions. Double the recipe for the 6-inch sized cake that is in the photographs.
- Carrot Cake
- 2.5 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded Coconut
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 tsp allspice (optional)
- 5 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup trail mix or mixed nuts that have been soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained
- Maple Cashew Frosting
- 1 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Squeeze as much liquid out of the carrots as you can.
- Combine the carrots, coconuts, dates, spices and coconut flour in a food processor and pulse until they come together. Try pressing some between your fingers to make sure it’s sticking.
- Stir in the trail mix.
- Prepare the pan of your choice by lining it with parchment paper.
- Press the mixture into the pan firmly and then place your cake into the freezer while you make the frosting.
- Put all the frosting ingredients into a high-powered blender or food processor. Mix until completely smooth. If it get’s warm while you are blending it, let it cool a bit before frosting your cake.
- Using an offset spatula or large spoon, spread the frosting over the top of the cake of cupcakes. If you are making a layer cake, be careful not to overfill or you might get some spillage out the sides.
- Top with coconut or nuts and dried fruit.
- Chill until ready to serve, best eaten 24 hours after making.