Celebrate blueberry season with these easy vegan blueberry squares. Fresh blueberries are best, but frozen will work in a pinch. You can substitute your favorite berry if blueberries aren’t your thing.
Base and Crumble
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup cold shortening, cubed
- 2 tbsp aquafaba
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon zest
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- 2.5 tsp cornstarch
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2.5 cups of fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 F
- Grease an 8×8 pan with shortening.
- In a food processor, combine the first ⅔ cup sugar, baking powder and flour and pulse a couple of times to combine. Add the shortening to the processor and pulse 10 times to distribute . Add the aquafaba and lemon zest and run the processor until it forms a sandy mixture. It will be very, very, crumbly. Don’t worry.
- Press half of the mixture into the greased pan using your fingers. Make sure the bottom is completely covered. Use a little pressure. Set the remaining crumble mixture aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine ⅓ cup of sugar and 2.5 tsp of cornstarch, whisk it around to distribute the cornstarch evenly. Add the lemon juice and stir. Add the blueberries and gently stir to coat them with the sugar mixture. Pour this mixture into the pan on top of the first layer. Spread it around evenly.
- Spread the remaining crumble evenly over the top of the blueberries. Press down on it lightly to make it stick.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. Is should be bubbly at the edges and slightly brown on the top.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before cutting.
This recipe uses aquafaba in place of eggs. Learn how to reduce aquafaba for baking here: http://theblenderist.com/how-to-reduce-aquafaba/