This is the third post in my series of hot beverages for fall! I previously posted ‘The World’s Best Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte’ and ‘The World’s Best Vegan Matcha Latte’. This is ‘The World’s Best Vegan Chai Latte’…of course!
This recipe is a tiny bit more complicated than the previous recipes. I promise, it’s worth it! First of all, you must make my homemade cashew milk if you truly want this to be ‘The World’s Best Vegan Chai Latte’. Of course, you can use any milk you like in this recipe but I can’t promise you the same creamy results!
This recipe uses a chai concentrate that you can easily make at home. It only takes about 40 minutes. Once you make it, you can keep it in a bottle or jar in the fridge and add it to cold or hot beverages. If you like it strong, you will mix it in equal parts to your milk. If you prefer a weaker tea flavour, go easier on the concentrate and heavier on the cashew milk.
Once you’ve made your cashew milk and your chai concentrate, all you have to do is combine them together. The chai concentrate is unsweetened, so you can decide how sweet you want it.
Top with coconut whipped cream if you are feeling fancy.Print
- 5 cups of water
- 8 bags of black tea
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 10 green cardamom pods
- 10 star anise
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 3 inches of fresh ginger cut in slices
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup cashew milk
- Maple syrup or coconut sugar to taste
- Put the water, tea bags and spices in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain liquids in to a jar.
- For a hot beverage, put equal parts concentrate and cashew milk over medium heat until warm.
- Sweeten to taste.
- Store chai concentrate in the fridge.