- 5 cups of water
- 8 bags of black tea
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 10 green cardamom pods
- 10 star anise
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 3 inches of fresh ginger cut in slices
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup cashew milk
- Maple syrup or coconut sugar to taste
- Put the water, tea bags and spices in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain liquids in to a jar.
- For a hot beverage, put equal parts concentrate and cashew milk over medium heat until warm.
- Sweeten to taste.
- Store chai concentrate in the fridge.