I’ve had a few requests on Instagram lately for more vegan desserts. With summer coming, I thought I’d create a new, no-bake recipe. Really, this is borderline raw-vegan. It could be made raw-vegan if you used raw-vegan chocolate.
This recipe uses dates and coconut sugar for sweetness. That is why I would not classify this as a low-carb recipe. If you would like to reduce the carb count of this recipe, you could use stevia as a sweetener in the crust and use stevia sweetened chocolate chips. Dates are nature’s sugar bombs, so if you avoid all forms of sugar…you should probably skip this recipe and try one of my low-carb creations.
For those who do well with natural sugars, you are going to love this easy recipe. Dates make a great replacement for the gooey filling in a pecan pie when you mix them in the Vitamix. I recommend a dark, bittersweet chocolate for the topping to temper the sweetness of the dates. If you are feeling really wild, add a scoop of whipped coconut cream!Print
- 1/2 cup raw pecan halves
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts or raw almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or Swerve to reduce carbs)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 10 Dates (soaked in warm water for 15 minutes)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- Top Layer
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or pieces*
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Put all the crust ingredients in a high-powered blender or food processor and mix on a medium speed until it comes together.
- It should have a mealy texture, don’t over blend.
- Press the crust mixture in to 4, 4″ tart pans or a 9″ tart pan.
- Next, mix the filling ingredients at a high-speed in your blender or food processor.
- You may have to scrape down the sides a few times.
- Try to get it as smooth as possible, but don’t fret if you have a few lumps.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the tart pans.
- Put the chocolate and coconut oil in a pan.
- Melt them together, carefully on a low heat.
- Pour the chocolate mixture on top of the tarts.
- Place the pecan halves on top of the melted chocolate.
- Put the tarts in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes before serving.
*Dark chocolate can vary in sugar content. If you want to keep this recipe free of refined sugar, be sure to look for stevia sweetened chips or buy unsweetened chocolate and add stevia to taste.
- Serving Size: 1 tart