Last week, I shared this Vegan Chocolate Panna Cotta recipe. It was very popular, but I’ve heard there are some people in this world that hate chocolate. To those people I say, “Chocolate is the best, your tastebuds are broken”.
I’m a kind person and I don’t want these chocolate deprived people to feel left out of the Vegan Panna Cotta party. That is why I’m sharing this Vegan Coconut Mango Panna Cotta. It’s a mouthful.
Come to think of it, if you asked me to pick 3 foods to live on for the rest of my life I would pick chocolate, mango and coconut. That sounds like a well balanced diet doesn’t it?
Mangoes give me life! I feel like they are my birth right. Where I was born (Zambia) mango trees are plentiful. In my family village you will trip over mangoes if you don’t look where you are going. Here is a photo of some of the mangoes my cousins found for me when I was visiting a few years back…
It was a feast!
In this recipe, mango is not the star but it is a very tasty supporting player. The layer of mango adds a tart and sweet dimension. You can skip it if you don’t have any mango or you can use a different fruit if you hate mangoes. (Who the heck hates mangoes?)
Since this is a vegan recipe, I used kanten (agar agar) instead of gelatin. If you have an Asian grocery around, that is your best source for kanten. You can also buy it on Amazon here (affiliate link).
For this recipe, I used canned coconut milk. I don’t recommend using the coconut-beverage type drink that comes in a carton. You want the fatty goodness of coconut milk for texture.
Vegan Coconut Mango Panna Cotta
- Yield: 2-4 servings
This recipe makes 2 large servings or 4 small servings.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar or sweetener of choice*
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp granulated kanten or agar agar
- 1 small mango, peeled and cut
- *Use liquid or granular sweetener in the equivalent of 1/4 cup sugar. You can taste the mixture and adjust sweetness as you go.
- Heat the coconut milk, sweetener and vanilla in a medium sized sauce pan until it reaches a low boil.
- Sprinkle 3/4 tsp of the kanten/agar in to the coconut milk mixture and stir it to help it dissolve.
- Continue stirring for approximately 5 minutes.
- Be sure to keep it at a low boil, don’t allow it to boil rapidly. You don’t want to scorch it!
- After the 5 minutes are up, pour the mixture into ramekins, cups or bowls.
- Put the panna cotta in the fridge to set for 30 minutes before making the next layer.
- Puree the mango in a small blender of food processor.
- Don’t worry about getting it perfectly smooth.
- Dissolve 1/4 tsp kanten/agar in very hot water.
- Mix the kanten/agar with the mango puree in the food processor.
- Remove the coconut panna cotta from the fridge and spoon the mango puree on top of each one.
- If the mixture is thick, use a spoon to spread it around.
- Put them back in the fridge for another 2 or 3 hours until set.
LOVE VEGAN DESSERTS?
I am whipping up a vegan dessert cookbook. Join my newsletter for release details!