This recipe makes 2 large servings or 4 small servings.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar or sweetener of choice*
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp granulated kanten or agar agar
- 1 small mango, peeled and cut
- *Use liquid or granular sweetener in the equivalent of 1/4 cup sugar. You can taste the mixture and adjust sweetness as you go.
- Heat the coconut milk, sweetener and vanilla in a medium sized sauce pan until it reaches a low boil.
- Sprinkle 3/4 tsp of the kanten/agar in to the coconut milk mixture and stir it to help it dissolve.
- Continue stirring for approximately 5 minutes.
- Be sure to keep it at a low boil, don’t allow it to boil rapidly. You don’t want to scorch it!
- After the 5 minutes are up, pour the mixture into ramekins, cups or bowls.
- Put the panna cotta in the fridge to set for 30 minutes before making the next layer.
- Puree the mango in a small blender of food processor.
- Don’t worry about getting it perfectly smooth.
- Dissolve 1/4 tsp kanten/agar in very hot water.
- Mix the kanten/agar with the mango puree in the food processor.
- Remove the coconut panna cotta from the fridge and spoon the mango puree on top of each one.
- If the mixture is thick, use a spoon to spread it around.
- Put them back in the fridge for another 2 or 3 hours until set.