Hey, remember the other day when I made this salad? Well, I had leftover vegetable noodles and peanut sauce so I decided to make some salad rolls.
I’m always looking for ways to use up leftovers. That is why humans invented wraps, sandwiches, soups, stir-frys and smoothies. Okay, I’m taking liberties with culinary history here, but I never claimed to be a historian.
Salad rolls are light and fresh. I love them in the summer time when it’s too hot to eat anything but fruit and vegetables. Advance warning, this recipe is a bit loosey-goosey. You may have extra salad ingredients or tofu leftover after you roll all the salad rolls you want.It’s all good, just recycle them in to a salad! The circle of grocery life!
My salad roll came together like this:
1. Grab a rice wrapper
2. Wet down the wrapper so it softens. I do this by filling a large dish with water and dipping the whole thing.
3. Top with pre-cooked rice noodles
4. Top with julienned vegetables
5. Top with marinated tofu and cilantro (or mint if you are a cilantro hater)
6. Fold in the sides of the wrapper and then roll it like a burrito
7. Serve with peanut dipping sauce
I find them super filling, despite the light ingredients.Vegan salad rolls make a great appetizer or potluck food. If you do bring pack them up for storage or transport, be sure you keep them separated because they will stick together. You can layer them with parchment or plastic wrap.
To make this recipe, start by making a marinated tofu:Print
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- 1 lb tofu (226 grams)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, tamari or braggs
- 1/8 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- Cut the tofu in to 2 inch strips that are about 1/2 inch wide.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients together in a blender on high speed for 1 minute.
- Pour the marinade over the tofu making sure it’s all covered.
- Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat
- Drain the tofu, setting the used marinade aside for the peanut sauce.
- Bake for 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes
This recipe will make more than you need for the salad rolls, but you can eat it on rice or on a salad. It’s a good snack!
Once the tofu is finished, set it aside to cool.
Next make the peanut sauce. You have two options. If you like to improvise in the kitchen, you can take the leftover tofu marinade and add peanut butter (2 or 3 tbsp), coconut milk (about 1/4 cup) and maple syrup (just a splash) until you get a sauce that tastes great to you. If you prefer to follow a recipe, you can use the one from my salad recipe here. You should also prep the vegetables as per my salad recipe. It’s easy, you just julienne them!
The only thing missing is the glass noodles or rice vermicelli. You can skip them and just use more vegetables if you don’t have them on hand. If you decide to use them, make them as directed on the package and then dunk them in ice water to cool before rolling them up.
Was that totally confusing? If so, be sure to let me know in the comments and I can clarify!